Pulled Chicken Salad
800g potatoes, scrubbed and sliced 0.5cm
650g chicken thighs
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 bunch asparagus
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup water
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
Juice of lemon
30g pumpkin seeds
100g basil pesto
Pulled Chicken Salad with Basil Pesto
PREHEAT oven to 220°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Preheat BBQ grill to high (if using).
- Toss potatoes with a drizzle of oil on prepared tray and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25–30 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Turn once during cooking. Heat a dry fry-pan on medium heat and toast pumpkin seeds for 3–4 minutes, until golden and crunchy. Set aside and reserve pan.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels, toss with spices and season with salt and pepper. Return pan to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Cook chicken for 5–6 minutes each side (depending on thickness), or until cooked through. Set aside, covered in foil, to rest. Reserve pan.
- While chicken cooks, prepare the rest of the meal. Trim woody ends off asparagus, about 2cm and discard. Cut asparagus spears in half; remove core and seeds from capsicum and slice 1cm; roughly chop garlic. Return pan to medium heat with a drizzle of oil, if needed.
- Cook asparagus, capsicum and garlic for about 2 minutes, stirring regularly. Add water and cook a further 2 minutes, until asparagus is bright green and capsicum is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove foil from chicken and shred, using two forks, then toss with any resting juices. Season to taste with salt and pepper then add to a large bowl with asparagus, capsicum, baby spinach leaves and lemon juice. Toss to combine.
TO SERVE, divide potatoes between plates and top with pulled chicken salad. Top with a dollop of basil pesto and toasted pumpkin seeds.
READY IN: 35 MIN PREP TIME: 15 MIN COOK TIME: 30 MIN